Meatloaf is made of ground meat combined with other ingredients such as bacon and eggs before being baked or steamed until done. When sliced these make a perfect side dish. Leftovers are a great sandwich addition
What makes a successful meatloaf?
- A meatloaf must be tender moist and juicy.
- It must be able to be cut into neat slices.
- The trick to keeping it moist is to ensure the mixture is not too dry before baking.
- Bacon fat keeps the meat moist. Breadcrumbs soak up all the milk and help hold onto the moisture too.
Ingredients and substitutes
- Beef - use ground beef that's not too lean. I recommend no less than 80% lean or 20% fat. Otherwise, the meatloaf can be dry.
- Bacon - apart from flavor bacon offers lots of fat that keeps the meat tender and juicy.
- Onion garlic - I like to use onion flakes or powder so there is no raw taste of onion. You can use fresh minced garlic but the powder distributes itself better.
- Eggs - work as a binding agent to hold all the ingredients together.
- Milk - You can omit the milk but it does soak into the breadcrumbs adding an extra layer of moisture.
- Tangy meatloaf - once baked invert onto a baking tray and top with a mixture of ¼ cup ketchup, 2 tablespoon brown sugar, and 1 tablespoon vinegar. Bake for 10 minutes more.
- BBQ meatloaf - once baked invert onto a baking tray - then top with ½ cup BBQ sauce and bake for 10 minutes more.
- Bacon-wrapped meatloaf - Use half bacon into the ground meat mixture. Then line the loaf pan with the remaining bacon slices before putting the ground mixture and baking. Once baked invert onto a baking tray and bake for 10 more minutes to crisp up the bacon.
Pin this and other East-Indian Recipes on Pinterest here
- Cutting Board
- Kitchen Knife
- Saute Pan
- Wooden spoon
- 500 grams (1 lb) Beef minced / ground
- 250 grams (8 oz) Bacon minced /ground or ham
- 1 tablespoon Onion flakes or onion powder
- ½ teaspoon Garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon Ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Brown sugar or white
- ½ cup ( ) Breadcrumbs fresh
- 2 large ( ) Eggs
- 2 tablespoon ( ) Lemon juice
- ¼ cup Whole milk
- ½ teaspoon ( ) Salt
- ½ teaspoon ( ) Black pepper
- ¼ cup ( ) Cilantro Fresh Coriander chopped
- Combine - In a large mixing bowl add the ground beef and bacon. Then, add all the rest of the ingredients and combine well but do not overmix. Pro tip - the mixture will look loose and wet and that's ok. It is what makes the meatloaf moist and juicy.
- Cook - Cover the pan with aluminum foil and steam in a pressure cooker for 30 minutes on high. Or place it on a baking sheet and bake in a preheated oven at 350 F/ 177 C/ Ga Mark 4 for 30 minutes
- Cool - When done remove from the pressure cooker or oven and let cool completely. Then invert onto a place and serve on a bed of lettuce leaves. Pro tip - if you do not let the meatloaf cool it will be quite crumbly when you cut. Cooling will help the meat abord juices and keep it moist.
About Videos - most recipes has two videos - a quick version in the post & longer detailed version on this recipe card. Please do subscribe to my channel if you like my videos
The nutrition information and metric conversion are calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator. Thank you