Jujubes or Fruit Gummies
While this has nothing to do with traditional East-Indian Christmas sweets almost every Christmas platter has jujubes or these gelatine based candied fruit jelly. Kids will be the first to pick them out and they never last long because they are best homemade and fresh.
The recipe is very simple, easy and very versatile. Below I have given you the basic recipe as I learned when I first started off but these can be made with any fruit juices and purees just as well.
- strawberry puree or juice to make strawberry jujube (strawberry extract - pink color)
- Mango juice for mango jujubes - yellow color
- Grape juice for grape jujubes - violet color
- Pineapple juice for pineapple jujubes - yellow color
- Orange juice for orange jujubes - orange color
- Add some lemon juice to water for lemon jujubes - yellow color
- 500 ml Fruit Juice orange, strawberry, mango
- 200 grams Sugar
- 56 grams Gelatin
- 90 ml Water
- 1 teaspoon Flavoring
- 2 drops Color optional
- 50 grams Castor sugar for coating
- Lightly oil a 7-inch square pan - set aside
- Soak the gelatin in water for 5 minutes
- In a saucepan combine juice, sugar, and soaked gelatin mixture
- Stir on medium heat until the sugar and gelatin are dissolved.
- Bring to a slow simmer and let simmer for 5 minutes.
- You will know when it's done - when you lift some on a spoon it will pour into threads and makes small triangles on the edge of the spoon
- Add flavoring and color
- Remove from the pan and let rest for 15 minutes. This will cool the scum on the top.
- Remove the scum from the top so you have a clear jelly mixture at the bottom.
- You can now pour this into your prepared oiled baking pan. If the mixture has cooled too much just warm it gently until it is pouring consistency again.
- Leave the jelly to set overnight or at least 8 hours at room temperature
- Then carefully remove the slab from the pan onto a sugar-dusted surface.
- Oil the blade of your knife and cut into strips then each strip into squares.
- Dust each piece of jujube with castor sugar.
- These will stay at room temperature for a few days
- If the jujubes are soft after 8 hours means that you did not cooked it long enough. You can place it back in the sauce pan and cook again
- If you have cooked it long and it still does not set means your gelatin is not good quality
- Use different juices and flavor combinations to created more vairety
- You can even layer colors by simple making a new batch (new color) and pouring it over the previous layer. Once you have made the layers - cool then cut into squares.
About Videos - most recipes has two videos - a quick version in the post & longer detailed version on this recipe card. Please do subscribe to my channel if you like my videos
The nutrition information and metric conversion are calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator. Thank you