Coconut Cordial sweet or coconut fudge is an East-Indian specialty made during Christmas. Packed with coconut flavor and a little cashew nuts this is a very addictive dessert. I highly recommend making more than you think you need.
If you love coconut you will love this recipe. It does involve some effort to stir the coconut and sugar over low heat until you have a thick mass which can then be cut into shapes. A word of caution - make sure you use a spoon or spatula with a long handle because as with all fudge this one has a lot of splattering.
At a Christening, have you ever been served a pink or blue sweet with the baby's name on it? Well, that would be this coconut fudge.
Ingredients and substitutes
- Coconut - only use the fresh white part of the grated coconut. This way you will get a nice color for the sweet.
- Sugar - again use white granulated sugar that will give a nice bright color to the sweet.
- Cashews - enhance the flavor of the sweet. You can also use almonds instead of cashews.
- Rose - when combined with coconut it adds a wonderful flavor.
- Ghee- you can also use clarified butter instead of ghee.
- Color - use light color edible food coloring.
Pin this and other East-Indian Recipes on Pinterest here
- 9 x 9 square baking pan
- 250 grams Coconut fresh ground
- 50 grams cashew nuts ground
- 300 grams Sugar granulated
- 2 tablespoon Rosewater
- 120 ml Water
- 2 drops Food coloring pink or other
- 2 tsp ghee
- Pan - Generously butter a 9 x 9 square baking pan - set aside
- Coconut - Grate the fresh white part of the coconut and pulse it in a blender until smooth. Use the rose water to help blend it. Pro tip - use as little liquid as you can otherwise you will have to stir for longer.
- Sugar syrup - In a large saucepan over medium heat combine the sugar and water. Cook until all the sugar has dissolved and you have a thick syrup consistency.
- Coconut - Add the ground coconut and ground cashew nuts to the sugar syrup and continue to stir over medium-low heat
- Stir - Continue to cook until the mixture becomes thick and start to leave the side of the pan. Add the food color and continue to stir. Cordial - Coconut Fudge - Christmas Sweets
- Set - Pour the mixture into the prepared buttered pan and spread evenly. Then, use the bottom of a flat bowl or glass to press down so you have a nice firm smooth fudge. Pro tip - pressing down will ensure you have a firm fudge that won't easily break.
- Slice - Brush the knife with ghee and cut it into desired shapes - traditionally coconut cordial is cut into rectangles or diamonds.
- Cool - transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely. Then, store them in an airtight container.
About Videos - most recipes has two videos - a quick version in the post & longer detailed version on this recipe card. Please do subscribe to my channel if you like my videos
The nutrition information and metric conversion are calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator. Thank you