East Indian Wedding Rice Recipe
If you’ve attended an East Indian wedding, then you’ve probably eaten this classic East Indian wedding rice. It’s served with all wedding meals along with fugias and varias. You can add less or more fruit and nuts as well as use more ghee to make it richer. The flavor of ghee permeating from this dish is wonderful.
Below I have given water for the basmati rice but if you use other variety please make the necessary adjustments.
Basmati rice – 1 cup rice to 1 1/2 cup water – 20 mins
Texmati rice – 1 cup rice to 2 cups water – 20 mins
Long-grain-rice – 1 cup rice to 1 1/2 cup water – 20 mins
Short grain rice – 1 cup rice to 1 1/2 cup water- 15 mins
Jasmine rice – 1 cup rice to 1 3/4 cup water – 15 mins
Pin this and other East-Indian Recipes on Pinterest here
- Saute Pan
- Wooden spatula
- Cutting Board
- 2 cups (370 g) Rice Basmati or long grain rice
- 4 tbsp (4 tbsp) Ghee or butter
- 2 tbsp (2 tbsp) Oil
- 1/2 cup (1/2 cup) Cashew nuts
- 1/2 cup (1/2 cup) Raisins
- 1 tsp (1 tsp) Garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp (1/2 tsp) Ginger grated
- 2 cup (2 cup) Onion sliced thinly
- 3 1/2 cups (1.75 pt) Water
- 1/4 cup (1/4 cup) Cilantro chopped
- 2 inch (2 inch) Cinnamon stick
- 3 (3 ) Cardamoms whole
- 2 (2 ) Bay leaves
- Clean, rinse and soak rice in water for 30 mins
- In a saute pan heat oil and butter.ghee.
- Saute the whole spices for a minute.
- Add the nuts and fruits – saute for two minutes until lightly toasted
- Then add in the onions – saute a minute or two until onions are golden brown
- Remove some onions, fruit, and nuts for garnish.
- Next, add the garlic and ginger.
- Drain the rice and add it to the pan.
- Saute for about 2 to 3 minutes until the rice is lightly toasted
- Add 3 /12 cups water and let come to a boil.
- Cover the pan and lower the heat to low.
- Cook on a low simmer for 20 minutes – set the timer for 20 minutes
- When the timer sets off – switch the flame off. But do not open the pan.
- Let the rice continue to cook in the residue heat for 10 more minutes.
- After 10 minutes add the chopped cilantro and mint.
- Fluffy the rice with a fork
- Serve hot
About Videos – most recipes has two videos – a quick version in the post & longer detailed version on this recipe card. Please do subscribe to my channel if you like my videos
The nutrition information and metric conversion are calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator. Thank you
You may also like
- Chicken mince with Vindaloo Masala
- Stuffed Roast Chicken
- Chicken Frithad Recipe
- Chicken Croquettes
- Coconut Chicken Curry
- Chicken Khudi Curry
- Apricot Chicken Curry
- Chicken Potato chops
- Bottle Masala Chicken Curry
- Green Masala Chicken curry
- Baked Crispy Chicken
- Butter Chicken – restaurant style