This is the authentic recipe for east Indian fugias. It needs a bit of practice in the beginning.
FugiasPrint Pin Rate
- 1 kg Plain flour, maida All-purpose flour
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 3 Eggs large
- 1 cup Coconut milk
- 1/4 cup Rice flour
- 1 tbsp Yeast Fresh
- 1 ltr Cooking oil for deep frying
Conversions – Please switch between Metric & US for more measurement options
Make Fugias Batter
- Add flour in a bowl with salt, sugar, rice flour – mix to combine
- Combine eggs, coconut juice, and yeast – mix well to combine
- Add liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients
- Combine well – knead for three minutes.
- This is not a stiff dough. The dough will be loose and sticky.
- Cover with a damp towel and rest for at least 2 hours or overnight (traditionally this dough is kept to prove and ferment overnight)
Deep fry Fugias
- Pour 1-liter oil in a deep pan for deep frying
- The traditional method to make fugias is to squish the dough in the palm of your hands. The little dough that escapes between the thumb and forefinger on top forms a ball. Pinch this ball with damp hands and drop it in the hot oil.
- Fry them in batches until lightly golden.
- Remove onto a paper towel with a perforated spoon.
- Continue until all dough is used up.
About Videos – most recipes has two videos – a quick version in the post & longer detailed version on this recipe card. Please do subscribe to my channel if you like my videos
The nutrition information and metric conversion are calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator. Thank you