White loaf Bread
This white beard is soft, light and fluffy with just a touch of sweetness. Perfect for sandwiches or breakfast toast. The recipe is fairly simple and easy too.
The smell of bread at home is the most inviting when you have guests especially if you make it homemade. This white loaf bread is a very easy recipe. It never goes to waste because you can use it to make toast, for your sandwiches and if you have stale bread, pulse it in the food processor for fresh bread crumbs.
- 2 1/4 tsp (2 1/4 tsp) Instant dry yeast
- 310 ml (1.31 cups) Water warm (110F)
- 1 tbsp (1 tbsp) Honey or sugar
- 500 grams (4 cups) AP flour Maida
- 3 tbsp (3 tbsp ) Butter soft
- 1 tbsp (1 tbsp) Salt
- 1/2 cup (1/2 cup) AP Flour for kneading
- 1/2 (1/2 ) Egg
- 2 tbsp (2 tbsp) Water
For the top
- 1 tbsp (1 tbsp) Sesame seeds for the top (optional)
Proof the yeast
- Combine warm water, honey, and yeast in a bowl. Use a whisk to combine. Tip – the water must be barely warm, close to room temperature. If it's hot, it will kill the yeast and your bread won't rise)
- Set it aside for 5 minutes – until foamy. Tip (if it does not become foamy either the water was too hod so the yeast died or the yeast as expired – either start over or buy new yeast)
Knead the dough
- In a bowl combine flour and salt.
- Make a hollow in the center and pour the yeast mixture in
- Starting from the center out, bring the flour and yeast together.
- Use no more than 1/4 cup extra flour if necessary. The dough must be soft and sticky
- Continue to knead on a lightly floured surface – the dough will become less sticky as you continue to knead – Knead for 3 minutes
- Then add the soft butter and knead for another 2 to 3 minutes. Now the dough will be soft, smooth and elastic with a slight stickiness.
Let the dough rise
- Place the dough in an oiled bowl and cover with a damp kitchen cloth.
- Leave to rise for one hour or until double in volume. Tip- You can also let the dough rise in the fridge overnight. Next day remove and let come to room temperature first.
Form the loaf (7 x 4 loaf pan)
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface. Spread the dough into a rectangle (approximately to the length of the light pan)
- Roll the dough from one end to the other -like a jelly roll. Pinch the seams at the end.
- Place the rolled dough into the greased loaf pan seam side under
Proof the loaf
- Cover with a pan with a clean damp kitchen cloth – let proof for 30 to 45 minutes or until almost double in volume.
Bake the bread
- Preheat the oven at 200 C/ 390 F
- Prepare eggwash – combine half egg with 2 tbsp water.
- Brush the top of the bread with egg wash and sprinkle with sesame seeds
- Place the loaf in the oven on the middle rack. Bake for about 20to 25 minutes or until the top is golden and the bottom sounds hollow.
About Videos – most recipes has two videos – a quick version in the post & longer detailed version on this recipe card. Please do subscribe to my channel if you like my videos
The nutrition information and metric conversion are calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator. Thank you
You may also like
- How to make East Indian Fugias
- East Indian Varias – bread with a hole – Wedding Bread
- Homemade White Bread – White Sandwich Bread
- Homemade Brown Bread – Brown Sandwich Bread