East Indian Chitiaps – Rice flour crepes
Chittaps, Chitiaps or chittaps are often the common spellings used for these rice flour crepes. They are soft, porous, delicious pancakes made by East-Indians using rice flour, flour, and coconut milk. These are fermented overnight then cooked on a special chittaps skillet. But, a non-stick work just as well.
As a kid I only remember eating chitiaps at weddings. I use to call them east-Indian dosa. I loved the coconut flavor and the slightly sweet taste. Originally they are quite white in color but I always add turmeric or haldi to mine.. because I just like the wonderful golden color haldi brings to it. But, you can certainly omit it.
- 250 grams (1.56 cups) Rice flour
- 125 grams (1 cups) All-purpose flour maida
- 50 grams (3.38 tbsp) Sugar
- 1/2 Cup (8 tbsp) Coconut milk
- 1 tsp Instant yeast or toddy
- 1 Egg yolk
- 1/4 cup (4 tbsp) Cooking oil to grease the pan
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder haldi (optional)
Combine dry ingredients
- Combine rice flour, all purpose flour and sugar in a bowl
Combine wet ingredients
- Warm the coconut milk (no more than 110F) – add the yeast – mix well
- Let the yeast rest for 3 to 5 minutes until foamy
- Then add the egg and combine well.
Combine wet to dry ingredients
- Combine the yeast mixture to the flour mixture
- Mix well until you have no dry flour
- Cover and leave to ferment overnight at room temperature – minimum 8 hours
- After 8 hours – stir the mixture well.
- If necessary add more coconut milk and make a dripping consistency
- Heat a cast-iron skillet on medium low heat
- Lightly grease the pan with oil – wipe off any excess oil
- Pour about 1/4 cup batter into the skillet
- Twirl the skillet and let the mixture spread evenly into a thin layer
- Cover the skillet and cook for a few minutes until the chittap is ready
- Continue in the same way with the rest of the batter until all the batter is used up.
About Videos – most recipes has two videos – a quick version in the post & longer detailed version on this recipe card. Please do subscribe to my channel if you like my videos
The nutrition information and metric conversion are calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator. Thank you