Unlike the traditional East-Indian Fugias made with yeast that takes hours, these instant fugias are instantly made in less than 30 minutes. Today, I share with you two new methods to fry these too.
Have you tried traditional fugias, they are also called balloon bread. Very popular during East-Indian weddings and festive occasions. I can't remember a Christmas, Easter, or Thanksgiving when we didn't have fugias on the table along with Vindaloo, Sorpotel, Khudi, and Varias
Very soon you will become a huge fan of these fugias. I make these so often these days because they are easy but also so addictive.
How to make fugias - two methods
Method one - small cupcakes scoop
- While you can use two spoons to drop the batter into the oil. I find a small size cookie scoop does a better job.
- The dough falls into the oil easily if you dip the scoop in oil before you dip it the dough.
Method two - piping bag and scissors
- Take a large piping bag and flip it inside out. Smear the inside of the bag with cooking oil. The flip it back so the oiled side is in. (the oil helps the dough move easily)
- Place the piping bag on a tall glass. And pour the dough inside (see picture)
- Next, cut a hole about ¼ inch at the end of the piping bag
- Holding the bag over the oil, squeeze the dough out of the bag and cut with a scissor. The dough should fall into small balls. The beginning will be weird and uneven but as you do a few you will get the hang of it.
- Continue to make the fugias in batches.
- Mixing bowl
- Slotted spoon
- 400 grams (2 cups) Yogurt
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 2 Egg
- ½ tsp Salt
- 350 grams (3 cups) All-purpose flour
- 2 tsp Baking powder
- 1 l Cooking oil
- In a bowl, combine the yogurt, sugar, egg.
- Then, add the flour, baking powder, and salt. Combine well
- Let the dough rest for 10 minutes while you heat the oil.
- Above, I have given you a few non-traditional methods to make these fugias. If you are new to making fugias or are not comfortable with the traditional method. Perhaps you may like to try these.
- The traditional method to make fugias is to squish the dough in the palm of your hands. The little dough that escapes between the thumb and forefinger on top forms a ball. Pinch this ball with damp hands and drop it in the hot oil.
- Fry them in batches until lightly golden.
- Remove onto a paper towel with a perforated spoon. Continue until all dough is used up.
About Videos - most recipes has two videos - a quick version in the post & longer detailed version on this recipe card. Please do subscribe to my channel if you like my videos
The nutrition information and metric conversion are calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator. Thank you
Pin this and other East-Indian Recipes on Pinterest here