East Indian Pork Vindaloo (authentic)
This pork vindaloo is an authentic dish that must be made for an East-Indian wedding. It is spicy and bright red in color. This curry is made with high fat pork and lots of vinegar which means it has a longer shelf life perfect for three to four days to serve at every meal at that wedding.
If you’ve ever been to an East-Indian wedding dinner then you can’t miss the bright red, thick curry pork vindaloo often right besides yet another very popular classic called Sarpatel. These two are usually at the center of every meal.
This is an authentic dish and you will see often very different from the recipes for vindaloo found online. This one has no oil because there is enough fat in pork just like when you cook bacon. The oil in pork is just enough to add moisture. There is no water in this dish either instead, we use vinegar which works as a preservative.
East Indian Pork VindalooPrint Rate
- 1 kg (2.2 lb) Pork
- 15 (15 ) Red Kasmiri chilled (or smoked sweet paprika)
- 10 (10 ) Garlic cloves
- 1 inch (1 inch) Fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 tbsp (1 1/2 tbsp) Cumin seed jeera
- 1 tsp (1 tsp ) Turmeric
- 1/2 cup (1/2 cup) Vinegar
- Cut the meat into large chunks, season generously with salt and pepper – let marinate overnight in the fridge.
- Next day, wash and pat dry.
Prepare masala / ground paste
- Soak the chillies in hot water for 10 minutes – remove seeds
- In a blender or food processor – blend together the chilies, garlic, ginger, turmeric and cumin seed with vinegar. (do not use water)
Marinade the meat
- Apple the vindaloo masala to the pork pieces and let marinate for 8 hours in the fridge. Use an earthen pot, plastic or glass container. Do not use a metal container as the vinegar will react with the metal.
Cook the meat
- The next day, cook the pork vindaloo over medium heat until the pork renders some of the fat
- Reduce heat to a low simmer and cook until cooked well.
- Taste and adjust seasoning. If necessary add more vinegar (but not water).
About Videos – most recipes has two videos – a quick version in the post & longer detailed version on this recipe card. Please do subscribe to my channel if you like my videos
The nutrition information and metric conversion are calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator. Thank you