Cluster beans are called gawar or gavar in India and this recipe is typical of how we make a gowar foogath which is often served as a side dish with rice roti or chapati for dinner. A very popular vegetable in the East-Indian household
A foogath is a vegetable made as a side dish with grated coconut. Because it is usually served with a main course it is not heavy but rather just lightly spiced with some fresh green chilled. You can make footgath is any vegetable as I have shared before with French bean, cauliflower, cabbage, usal (mixed sprouts). It is a fairly simple dish that takes less than 15 minutes to make.
Ingredients and substitutes
- Vegetable - Today, I am using gowar also known as cluster beans. But, you can use other beans and similar veggies such as tendli, cabbage, drumsticks, etc
- Mustard - splattering mustard seeds with curry leaves is a unique and wonderful flavor on its own. Not typical with a foogath but trust me it's worth the extra flavor.
- Onions - I like to use red Spanish onions because they cook down and become sweeter.
- Garlic /ginger - always use nothing but fresh!
Pin this and other East-Indian Recipes on Pinterest here
Gowar Foogath - Sauteed Cluster BeansPrint Pin Rate
- Saute Pan
- Cutting Board
- Kitchen Knife
- 250 grams Gowar Clean, devein and cut gowar
- 2 tablespoon Cooking Oil
- ½ teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds jeera
- 4 Curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon Garlic minced
- 2 Green chilies or less
- ½ tso Tumeric powder
- ½ cup Grated coconut (optional)
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Pepper
- Saute - In a Kadai or saute pan - add oil, mustard seeds, and cumin seeds. Let the mustard seeds splutter a bit then add the curry leaves, turmeric powder, and green chilies.2 tablespoon Cooking Oil, ½ teaspoon Mustard seeds, 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds, 4 Curry leaves, 1 teaspoon Garlic, 2 Green chilies, ½ tso Tumeric powder
- Veggie - Then add the gowar (cluster beans) and ¼ cup water. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook on medium-low heat for 5 minutes. Pro tip - Do not cover for more than 5 minutes or the beans will lose their bright green color.250 grams Gowar, ½ cup Grated coconut, ½ teaspoon Salt, ½ teaspoon Pepper
- Tender - After 5 minutes open the pan and continue to cook on low heat. Add the grated coconut and sugar. Taste and adjust seasoning. Pro tip - use only as much water as necessary to cook the gowar until tender.1 teaspoon Sugar
- Serve with rice roti or chapati
About Videos - most recipes has two videos - a quick version in the post & longer detailed version on this recipe card. Please do subscribe to my channel if you like my videos
The nutrition information and metric conversion are calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator. Thank you