On all souls day, we make atola. This is a rice pudding made with new rice, black-eyed beans, coconut, and jaggery. Flavored with cardamom powder this pudding is an absolute addiction. The recipe gets done in about 25 to 30 minutes
Growing up, I remember once a year mom would have a table set by the alter with food for the dead in the family. It used to be dad and grandpa but over the years that list has gone up.
One of the dishes on offer would be Alota. It is made with new rice. New rice signifies new harvest that you offer to the dead and ask their blessings.
The black-eyed beans take longer to cook. Wash and soak them in water for at least 4 hours. Soaking hydrates them which helps cook them faster and better.
You can also cook only the beans in a pressure cooker for 3 whistles + 8 minutes, then use the beans and liquid to continue with the recipe
Pin this and other East-Indian Recipes on Pinterest here
- Suate pan
- 2 cups New rice
- 1 cup Black-eyed beans Chawlee
- 2 cups Jaggery Chopped
- 2 cups Coconut milk or 1 cup coconut cream
- 1 tsp Cardamom powder
- 4 cups Water
- Wash and soak the black-eyes beans and rice in water for at least 4 hours. Soaking hydrates them which helps cook them faster and better. (Alternatively, you can cook only the beans in a pressure cooker for 3 whistles + 8 minutes, then use the beans and liquid to continue with the recipe)
- Drain and wash again. Then add the water and salt. Cook for about 45 minutes until the beans are soft and can be mashed easily with your fingers. The rice by now will be too soft.
- Once the beans are cooked to soft and tender, add the jaggery and coconut milk. Cook until all the jaggery is melted.
- Taste and adjust sweetness and consistency. Add more crushed jaggery or water as necessary.
- Finally, add the cardamom powder. (you can also add 1 tsp of vanilla)
About Videos - most recipes has two videos - a quick version in the post & longer detailed version on this recipe card. Please do subscribe to my channel if you like my videos
The nutrition information and metric conversion are calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator. Thank you