Mango Kadhi is a popular Indian dish, particularly in the western part of India. The tangy kadhi sauce is flavored with mango puree, chickpea flour, and Greek yogurt. Rinse the rice in water before cooking.
I know I know; this is not East India, Mangalorean, Goan, or on the list of curries we make at home. So, often we get to eat this only when we go out to eat the ‘Thali’! Right? I love kadhi and so I didn’t want to only have it in restaurants.
Well, the truth is this is a very simple and easy recipe that gets done in minutes and the list of ingredients is very short. The first time I made it my kids said – hey mom, how come you never made this for us before, you must make it often!
This curry is a variation of the classic kadhi with mango puree. A great recipe to make when mangoes are in season.
Ingredients and substitutes
- Mango – you can use fresh or frozen mango puree for this recipe, Choose wonderfully sweet ripe mangoes.
- Yogurt – I like to use Greek yogurt which is higher in fat content compared to regular yogurt but you can certainly use any sour plain yogurt.
- Chickpea flour – also called basan in India. This is easily available in most supermarkets these days. You can also look for it in Asian or Indian stores.
- Mustard seeds or rai – are the essence of tempering used in several dishes. When combined with curry leaves the aroma is absolutely heavenly.
- Turmeric powder is what gives this dish that wonderful golden-yellow color.
Pin this and other East-Indian Recipes on Pinterest here. Don’t forget to like and Follow for more recipes.
- 1 cup Greek yogurt Dahi
- 2 tbsp Chickpea flour Besan
- 3 cups Water
- 1 tbsp Cooking oil
- 1 tbsp Ghee
- ½ tsp Cumin seeds
- ½ tsp Mustard seeds
- 2 large Dry red chilies deseeded and broken into pieces
- 2 med Green chilies slit into two
- ½ tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 cup Mango puree
- ½ tsp Salt
- ¼ tsp White pepper
- ¼ cup Cilantro chopped
- 1 cup Basmati rice
- 1½ cup Broth or stock
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- In a small bowl, combine yogurt, chickpea flour, and mango puree. Add water a little at a time making sure you have no lumps. Set aside1 cup Greek yogurt, 2 tbsp Chickpea flour, 1 cup Mango puree
- In a saute pan over medium heat add the vegetable oil and ghee. When hot add the mustard seeds and let them splutter. Then add the cumin seeds, chilies, and turmeric powder.1 tbsp Cooking oil, 1 tbsp Ghee, ½ tsp Cumin seeds, ½ tsp Mustard seeds, 2 large Dry red chilies, 2 med Green chilies, ½ tsp Turmeric powder
- Next, add the yogurt mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Let it cook on medium heat until it comes to a boil. Then reduce the heat to low and cook for 10 minutes more. Taste and adjust seasoning. Garnish with fresh cilantro.3 cups Water, ½ tsp Salt, ¼ tsp White pepper, ¼ cup Cilantro
- In a saucepan over medium heat add the soaked and drained rice, water, and salt. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to low. Cover the pot and simmer on low for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes turn the heat off and leave it untouched for another 10 minutes. Then fluff the rice with a fork.
About Videos – most recipes has two videos – a quick version in the post & longer detailed version on this recipe card. Please do subscribe to my channel if you like my videos
The nutrition information and metric conversion are calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator. Thank you