East Indian Green beans Foogath
French Beans Foogath is usually steamed, cooked in its own juices with coconut. Served as a side dish, it is usually not spicy. Traditionally, a footgath was made in earthen pots and lots of grated coconut and a few chilies for flavor.
Foogath is also known as fugad in Portuguese and can be made with french beans, cabbage, gowar (cluster beans), Papri (green flat beans), Chowlee Bhajee (black-eyed beans), as well as Tendli (ivy gourd). I have tried it with cauliflower as well as with zucchini.
This dish is not spicy because it is usually served as a side dish alongside the main course which would be spicy. However, you can add more or fewer chilies per your taste.
As a kid, this was one of my favorite veggies to have with chapatis. I still remember my mom’s perfect evening meal would be a kurdi curry, fugad, and rice rotis. We east Indians do love our rice rotis for dinner. Don’t we?
French Beans FoogathPrint Pin Rate
- Saute Pan
- Wooden spatula
- Cutting Board
- Kitchen Knife
- 250 grams (250 grams ) French Beans de-string and cut
- 1 small (1 small) Onion chopped
- 2 tbsp (2 tbsp ) Cooking Oil
- 2 (2 ) Green Chilies chopped
- 1/2 tsp (1/2 tsp) Salt
- 1/4 tsp (1/4 tsp) Pepper
- 1 cup (1 cup) Coconut grated
- 1/2 tsp (1/2 tsp) Sugar
- Clean, wash and drain the green beans. De string and cut them into smaller pieces
- Heat oil in a saute pan and saute onions and garlic until translucent
- Add the curry leaves and chilies
- Then add the green beans and season with salt and pepper.
- Add 1/4 cup water and sugar
- Cover and let cook on medium heat for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until tender.
- Add the grated coconut and cook uncovered for 5 minutes or until all the water has evaporated.
- Taste and adjust seasoning
- Serve hot as a side dish with the main course or on its own with chapati or rotis.
About Videos – most recipes has two videos – a quick version in the post & longer detailed version on this recipe card. Please do subscribe to my channel if you like my videos
The nutrition information and metric conversion are calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator. Thank you
You may also like
- Chicken mince with Vindaloo Masala
- Stuffed Roast Chicken
- Chicken Frithad Recipe
- Chicken Croquettes
- Coconut Chicken Curry
- Chicken Khudi Curry
- Apricot Chicken Curry
- Chicken Potato chops