Foogath is a simple side dish often made with veggies. Today, I make it with cabbage and throw in a few prawns to spice things up. This prawn and cabbage foogath takes just 20 minutes to make and is so delicious you will eat it on its own.
I like to make foogath with cabbage mostly because I do love cabbage a lot. But, instead of making it a side dish I add a few prawns and serve it with handbreads. My kids enjoy it too.
Ingredients and substitutes
- Cabbage - I am using a green cabbage but purple cabbage works just as well.
- Prawns - you can use large prawns or small shrimps too.
- Veggies - I like to cut the ginger, garlic, onions and green chilles into slices and saute them nicely first. This helps the ginger, garlic, and chilies crisp up a little which taste lovely.
- Sipices - I like to keep the color of the cabbage so I use only cumin and coriander along with green chilies for the spice. You could add a little bottle masala if you want to add some color. Make sure to reduce chilies so it's not too spicy.
I like to use my cast-iron skillet to make this foogath so it dries out excess moisture easily. But, you can also leave it with some liquid in the pan and serve it over rice.
Pin this and other East-Indian Recipes on Pinterest here
- 1 (1 kg) Cabbage 6 cups chopped
- 1 lb (500 g) Prawns or shrimps cleaned, deveined, and shelled
- ½ cup Onions sliced
- 1 tablespoon Garlic (1 tablespoon sliced)
- 1 inch Ginger (1 tablespoon slices)
- 4 Curry leaves
- 2 tablespoon Cooking oil
- 3 Green chilies sliced
- ½ teaspoon Cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon Coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric powder (optional)
- ½ cup Freshly grated coconut (or ¼ cup desiccated coconut)
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Pepper
- In a large saute pan add 1 tablespoon oil and lightly fry the prawns for 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Remove the prawns and set them aside. Pro tip - removing the prawns now will prevent them from overcooking in the cabbage. overcooked prawns taste very rubbery.
- To the same pan, add the remaining oil and saute the onions, ginger, garlic, green chilies, and curry leaves until the onions are translucent.
- Add the cumin, coriander, turmeric and saute a minute more. Then, add the cabbage and season with salt and pepper. Cook the cabbage for 8 to 10 minutes until tender.Pro tip - veggies like cabbage release their own liquid as they cook but if necessary you can add ¼ to ½ cup water to prevent it from getting burnt.
- Next, return the prawns back to the pan, add the coconut and cook for two minutes more or until the prawns are tender. Taste and adjust seasoning.Pro tip - prawns need only 4 to 5 minutes to cook. So, do not overcook them.
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
About Videos - most recipes has two videos - a quick version in the post & longer detailed version on this recipe card. Please do subscribe to my channel if you like my videos
The nutrition information and metric conversion are calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator. Thank you