East Indian Pork Sorpotel or Indian Saraptel
Another East-Indian classic pork recipe Sorportel is a must have at any festive table alongside vindaloo. Spicy, delicious made with East-Indian bottle masala and fresh garlic ginger and chilies.
This is ethnic to East-Indian cuisine and different from Goan sorpotel which is also another authentic recipe originating from Goa.
- 1 kg (2.2 lb) Pork cut to large chunks
- 100 grams (3.53 oz) Pork liver cut to large chunks
- 100 grams (3.53 oz) Pork heart keep in large pieces
- 1/2 tsp (1/2 tsp ) turmeric powder haldi
- 10 (10 ) Garlic cloves thinly slices
- 1 inch (1 inch) Fresh Ginger thinly sliced
- 3 (3 ) Green Chilies thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp (2 tbsp) Cooking oil
- 2 tbsp (2 tbsp) Bottle masala
- 1/2 cup (1/2 cup) Vinegar
- 1 tsp (1 tsp) Salt
- 1/2 tsp (1/2 tsp) Pepper
- 1 tbsp (1 tbsp) Dried pork blood (optional – a traditional ingredient)
Par boil pork
- Place pork, heart, and liver in a heavy bottom sauce pan
- Season with salt, pepper and turmeric
- Stir fry on medium heat in a heavy bottom pot with 1/4 cup vinegar and cook until brown (do not add water)
- Let cool – cut into fine pieces (about 1/2 inch piece)
- In a heavy bottom cooking pot add oil and fry the ginger, garlic, chiles for 2 minutes
- Then add bottle masala – fry for a minute more on gentle heat
- Add the chopped meat, (dried blood if using) and saute on medium heat.
- Finally add remaining vinegar and cook until meat is cooked well.
- Taste and adjust seasoning. Add more vinegar is necessary
- Traditionally pork blood is an ingredient used in this dish. I have never ever used it in any of my sorpotel recipes.
- The vinegar I have given is a 1/2 cup but you may need more. Up to 1 cup. I find vinegar we get overseas is stronger – so tend to use less, while in Indian I use more. Please taste and adjust as necessary.
About Videos – most recipes has two videos – a quick version in the post & longer detailed version on this recipe card. Please do subscribe to my channel if you like my videos
The nutrition information and metric conversion are calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator. Thank you