East Indian Bottle Masala Recipe
This bottle masala recipe is an authentic East-Indian spice mix similar to curry powder. The bottle masala which as an Indian curry powder is a unique blend of more than 20 different spices. Every family has its own variation of the recipes. This is mine, handed down from my family.
- Cutting Board
- Kitchen Knife
- 1 1/2 kgs Red Chillies hot
- 1 1/2 kg Red Chilies sweet
- 3/4 kg Coriander seeds whole
- 125 grams Cumin seeds jeera
- 1/4 kg Sesame seed teel
- 1/4 kg Poppy seeds khus khus
- 1/4 kg Mustard seeds
- 1/4 kg Wheat
- 1/4 kg chick peas channa
- 1/4 Kg Turmeric whole
- 125 grams pepper corns
- 50 grams Cinnamon dalchini
- 10 grams Cloves
- 10 grams Naikaiser
- 10 grams All spice kababchuni
- 10 grams Cardamoms elichi
- 10 grams Tirphal
- 10 grams Maipatri mace
- 10 grams Star anise bardian
- 10 grams Caraway seeds Shahijeera
- 10 grams Zaipatri
- 1 Nutmeg
- Clean and remove the stalk from the chilies
(best to wear gloves when working with chilies)
- Dry chilies and all spices in the sun for a few days until you are sure there is no moisture in left
- Dry roast the spices and chilies in an earthenware or cast iron pan.
- Blend all ingredients one at a time in a spice blender.
- Sift and combine all the spices – so they blend well together
- Fill in sterilized mason jars – label and seal well
- The bottle masala can last for up to 2 years if sealed well and kept in a cool dry place.
- If the spices are not dried properly the spice blend can mold quickly due to moisture.
Substitute for Bottle Masala.Bottle Masala is made up of more than 18 different spices so while these not the exact substitutes they are great alternatives.
- Add the same amount of currry powder instead of bottle masala plus, 1/4 tsp Garam masala.
- 1 tbsp Kashmiri chilly
- 1 tsp Cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp Coriander powder
- 1 tsp Cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 2 bay leaves.
- 1/4 tsp Garam Masala
About Videos – most recipes has two videos – a quick version in the post & longer detailed version on this recipe card. Please do subscribe to my channel if you like my videos
The nutrition information and metric conversion are calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator. Thank you
You may also like
- Homemade Indian Curry Powder Mix
- Homemade Indian Garam Masala Mix
- Chicken Frithad using Bottle masala.
- Apricot chicken
- Coconut Chicken Curry