Chicken Khudi (Chicken and Potatoes with Bottle Masala)
Chicken Khudi is an authentic East-Indian recipe made with chicken and potatoes cooked in a spice-mix called bottle masala and tamarind. A surprisingly simple and easy recipe to make.
Chicken Khudi CurryPrint Pin Rate
- 1 kg Chicken cut into pieces
- 3 Potatoes Chopped
- 2 tbsp Cooking oil
- 1 tbsp Bottle masala (or curry powder)
- 2 tbsp Tamarind
- 1 tbsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
Spice paste / Masala
- 2 cups Onions chopped
- 4 Chillies green
- 2 cups Fresh coconut grated
- 2 inch Ginger
- 8 cloves Garlic
- Stir-fry the chicken pieces in oil for two minutes until lightly browned on all sides.
- Add the ground spice-paste/masala and saute for 2 minutes
- Then add the bottle masala or curry powder – saute for a minute more.
- Add a cup of water, season with salt and pepper
- Add the chopped potatoes – make sure the potatoes are immersed in the water.
- Cover and cook for 20 minutes until the chicken is cooked and the potatoes are tender.
- Add the vinegar – cook a minute more.
- Taste and adjust seasoning.
- You can use 800 grams boneless Chicken thighs instead of whole cut chicken.
- Alternatively, you can use 600 grams of chicken breast cut to pieces and reduce the cooking time to 10 minutes or until chicken is tender.
- You can use curry powder instead of bottle masala spice mix. Same quantity.
About Videos – most recipes has two videos – a quick version in the post & longer detailed version on this recipe card. Please do subscribe to my channel if you like my videos
The nutrition information and metric conversion are calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator. Thank you