East Indian Roast Chicken Recipe
A festive meal calls for a beautiful roasted chicken or turkey. This Stuffed Chicken is authentic East-Indian style with bacon, carrots, peas, almonds, and raisins. Perfect for any celebration. It takes only 20 minutes to prep and about 40 minutes to bake.
There was no Christmas celebration without mom’s stuffed roast chicken. It was something we always looked forward to on special occasions. A dinner table with mom’s homemade food is good memories that make me miss my mom even more.
- 1.5 kg (1.5 kg) Chicken 2 1/2 lbs
- 1/4 cup (1/4 cup ) Chicken stock
- 1/4 cup (1/4 cup) Butter melted
For the Stuffing
- 2 cups (2 cups) Loaf bread cubed
- 50 grams (50 grams ) Bacon chopped
- 2 cup (2 cup) Onion finely chopped
- 1/2 cup (1/2 cup) Carrot diced
- 1 /2 cup (1 /2 cup) Potato diced
- 1/4 cup (1/4 cup ) Green Peas
- 1/4 inch (1/4 inch) French ginger finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp (1/2 tsp) garlic minced
- 3 (3 ) Green chilled Sliced
- 1/2 cup (1/2 cup ) Tomato chopped
- 1/4 cup (1/4 cup) Cilantro chopped
- 1/4 cup (1/4 cup) Mint leaves chopped
- 1 cup (1 cup) chicken spare parts liver, gizzard, hearts – cooked & chopped
- 1/2 tsp (1/2 tsp ) Sugar
- 8 (8 ) Almonds
- 20 (20 ) Black Raisins
- 2 tbsp (2 tbsp) Sour lime juice lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp (1/2 tsp) Cinnamon powder
- Cut bread in cubes and lightly toast in a tbsp of ghee in a fry pan or on a baking try in the oven (180C – 10 to 15 mins)
- Fry bacon – until almost all the fat is rendered. Remove from pan and set aside. Drain excess fat leaving a little to saute.
- Fry onions until light brown, add ginger, garlic, saute for a 2 minutes
- Add potatoes, carrots – cook until veggies are almost cooked then add the green peas.
- Next, add green chillies, tomatoes, mint, cilantro, chicken spare parts (liver, gizzard, heats) – suate 2 minutes
- Add the sour lime/lemon, cinnamon and sugar – mix well.
- Finally, add the bacon, and bread cubes, black raisins, almonds – toss every thing until well combined
- Remove from pan and let cool for 15 to 30 minutes (the stuffing can be made up to a day ahead and kept in the fridge)
- Preheat the oven at 200 C / 400 F
- Clean and wipe dry the chicken
- Season with salt and pepper – leave for 15 to 30 minutes
- Use a baking dish large enough for the chicken and extra stuffing
- Add the chicken stock to the bread stuffing and toss well.
- Lightly stuff chicken with the bread mixture – do not over stuff as the bread will get soggy. Spread the remaining stuffing in the baking pan around the chicken
- Truse / Tie the chicken legs – brush the whole chicken with oil
- Bake the chicken for 30 minutes on the center rack.
- After 30 minutes brush the chicken with melted butter
- Continue to bake for another 15 to 20 minutes until the chicken is golden and cooked thru.
About Videos – most recipes has two videos – a quick version in the post & longer detailed version on this recipe card. Please do subscribe to my channel if you like my videos
The nutrition information and metric conversion are calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator. Thank you