Bath cake is a Goan coconut cake that's very delicious and easy to make. It is a must-have cake during the Christmas season. The almonds are a great addition to this recipe.
Just as thali sweet is dear to the East Indian people so is bath cake to the Goans. While both have similar ingredients they are still quite unique. For example, a thali sweet is very delicate while a bath cake is quite a dense cake.
Ingredients and substitutes
- Semolina - also called rawa. It is made from a wheat germ which is why soaking it gives better results with this cake.
- Butter - I use melted unsalted butter as it's the best for baking. If you use salted butter omit salt in the recipe.
- Sugar - use fine-grain sugar that will dissolve into the butter during the creaming process. If you only get coarse sugar pulse it in the food processor a few times to make it finer.
- Eggs - we use weight measurement for the eggs because all eggs are different in size and weight. Ideally, each large egg should be about 60 grams with a shell and about 50 grams without a shell.
- Coconut - For this cake, we use fresh coconut. My mom always grated only the white part of the coconut and then ground it in the blender with just a little bit of coconut water. Instead of milk, I used coconut milk to enhance the flavor of coconut
- Almond - I used ground almonds because it is easily available but my mom always used ground cashews which work well too.
Pin this and other East-Indian Recipes on Pinterest here
Almond Bath Cake - Goan Coconut CakePrint Pin Rate
- 125 grams (¾ cups) Semolina
- 60 grams (½ cups) Almond flour
- ½ teaspoon Baking powder
- ½ teaspoon Cardamom powder
- ¼ teaspoon Nutmeg freshly grated
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- 3 large Eggs
- 250 grams (1 ¼ cups) White sugar
- 80 ml (⅓ cups) Unsalted butter melted
- 80 g (1 cup) Ground coconut 1 large coconut
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon Almond extract
- Oven - Preheat the oven to 165C/ 325F/Gas Mark 3
- Dry ingredients - In a bowl, combine the semolina, almond flour, baking powder, cardamom powder, nutmeg, and salt.125 grams Semolina, 60 grams Almond flour, ½ teaspoon Baking powder, ½ teaspoon Cardamom powder, ¼ teaspoon Nutmeg, ¼ teaspoon Salt
- Whip - In the bowl of a stand mixer with the whisk attachment. whip the eggs with sugar until light and foamy.3 large Eggs, 250 grams White sugar
- Dry ingredients - add the semolina mixture followed by the ground coconut. Combine well but don't overmix.80 g Ground coconut, 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- Butter - Add the melted butter and combine well. Finally, add the vanilla and almond extract.80 ml Unsalted butter
- Pan - Pour the batter into a greased and lined 8-inch round or 8 x 8-inch square baking pan.
- Bake - for 35 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool - when done cool in the pan for 10 minutes then invert onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
About Videos - most recipes has two videos - a quick version in the post & longer detailed version on this recipe card. Please do subscribe to my channel if you like my videos
The nutrition information and metric conversion are calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator. Thank you