Vanilla cake - Sponge Cake or plain cake
This is a basic sponge cake recipe often referred to as a plain cake or vanilla cake. Made with all-purpose flour (maida), eggs, sugar, and butter this cake is one that can be used to make many different variations like orange, lemon, fruits, and trifles.
This is the first cake I learned when you started making cakes. The basic formula of equal parts of butter, sugar, flour, and eggs. One that will open the doors to the whole world of variations.
- Add 2 tablespoon of lemon juice, 1 teaspoon lemon zest, ¼ teaspoon orange extract to make a lemon cake
- Add ½ cup orange juice, 1 teaspoon orange zest, and ½ teaspoon orange extract to make an orange cake
- Add up to 1 cup nuts to the batter to make this a light fruit cake
- Add ½ cup dried fruits and ½ cup dried nuts to make this a light fruit and nut cake.
Classic Sponge Cake - Vanilla Sponge CakePrint Pin Rate
- 8-inch round baking pan
- Mixing bowl
- Baking tray
- 250 grams (2 cups) All-purpose flour maida
- 250 grams (1.25 cups) Sugar fine castor sugar
- 250 grams (1.1 cups) Butter
- 5 large (5 large) Eggs
- ½ teaspoon (½ teaspoon) Baking powder
- 1 tablespoon (1 tablespoon) Vanilla extract or ¼ teaspoon vanilla essence
- ¼ tsp (¼ tsp ) Lemon or Almond essence
- Preheat the oven at 180 C / 360 F
- Grease and line with parchment paper an 8-inch round cake pan or 7-inch square cake pan
- Cream together butter and sugar until all the sugar is dissolved
- Add eggs one at a time
- Combine the flour with baking powder - then add flour in three batches - combine well.
- Lastly, add the vanilla and other flavoring
- Pour into the prepared baking pan
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean.
About Videos - most recipes has two videos - a quick version in the post & longer detailed version on this recipe card. Please do subscribe to my channel if you like my videos
The nutrition information and metric conversion are calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator. Thank you