The cashew cake is rich in butter and sweetened with brown sugar which gives it that wonderful light golden color. This a simple recipe delicious on its own but can be frosted with cream cheese frosting if you have to want to celebrate.
Cashew nuts are the edible seeds of cashew trees, which grow in tropical climates such as Goa, India. When I lived in Goa, we used to eat the cashew fruit on the way back from school and we'd throw these seeds on the ground with the belief that it would grow more trees. Of course, the people in Goa who harvested the nuts would roast them in a special large pot with sand.
Anyway, while the rest of the world uses Almonds we replace all recipes with cashew nuts. They are used in a variety of sweet and savory dishes.
Ingredients and substitutes
- Cashews - I am using cashew nuts but you can also use ground Almonds.
- Flour - I use plain all-purpose flour or maida for this cake which helps give the ground cashews a nice base.
- Eggs - use good-quality large fresh eggs for this cake. You can even whip the eggs to make a light and airy cake.
- Yogurt - I use full-fat Greek yogurt but you can use regular plain yogurt for this cake. Sometimes I like to use sour cream instead of yogurt. The Greek yogurt and sour cream are high fat which adds a nice richness to the cake.
- Leavening - I am using both baking powder and baking soda. Baking soda combined with the citrus in the yogurt makes a light and airy cake.
- Flavoring - I am using both vanilla extract and rose extract. You can also use almond extract for flavor.
Pin this and other East-Indian Recipes on Pinterest here
- 113 grams Unsalted butter melted
- 160 ml Cooking oil
- 500 grams Brown sugar I used dark but light works too
- 5 large Eggs
- 300 grams All-purpose flour
- 150 grams Cashew powder
- 3 teaspoon Baking powder
- 1 teaspoon Baking soda
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon Rose extract
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- Oven - Preheat the oven to 180C/ 350F / Gas mark 5.
- Pan - Grease and line a 9-inch round baking pan or 8-inch square baking pan.Pro tip- You can also divide the batter into 2 x 8-inch round cake pans to make a layer cake.
- Dry ingredients - In a large bowl combine the flour, cashew powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.300 grams All-purpose flour, 150 grams Cashew powder, 3 teaspoon Baking powder, 1 teaspoon Baking soda, ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- Wet ingredients - In the bowl of a stand mixer with the whisk attachment on medium speed combine the melted butter, oil, sugar, eggs, and yogurt until light and fluffy.113 grams Unsalted butter, 160 ml Cooking oil, 500 grams Brown sugar, 5 large Eggs, 1 cup Greek yogurt
- Combine - Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and combine well but do not overmix. Add the vanilla extract and rose extract.1 teaspoon Vanilla extract, ¼ teaspoon Rose extract
- Bake - Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and bake in the preheated oven on the center rack for 45 to 50 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool - When baked cool in the pan for 10 minutes then invert onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
About Videos - most recipes has two videos - a quick version in the post & longer detailed version on this recipe card. Please do subscribe to my channel if you like my videos
The nutrition information and metric conversion are calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator. Thank you
Connect with me....Are you East Indian? Which part of the world are you from? Leave a comment, I'd love to know.