A classic rum raisin cake is perfect to serve during the Christmas season. Made with brown sugar, currents, raisins, and dark rum this cake is for adults only!
Of course, if you eat this cake you will feel intoxicated just like you do when you have a cocktail. It's a great way to serve alcohol to family and friends when they visit you! 😜
Ingredients and substitutes
- Flour -Simple plain flour/maida works great to stabilize the cake so it is not too crumbly.
- Semolina - It is thicker than flour but grainier which gives the cake a wholesome texture.
- Butter - I used unsalted butter so I can control the amount of salt but if salted butter is all you have then use it and omit the salt in the recipe.
- Sugar - I love the cake to have a deeper darker color which comes from the dark brown sugar and dark rum.
- Rum - My mom used the Indian Old Monk dark rum but you can also use dark or white rum.
- Fruit and nuts - I like to use a combination of black currents, raisins, and almonds in this cake. My mom would soak the fruit in rum overnight but I never remember to do that. But, soaking in hot water for just 30 minutes does the trick too.
Pin this and other East-Indian Recipes on Pinterest here
- 125 g (1 cups) All-purpose flour
- 125 g (¾ cups) Semolina super fine variety
- 1 teaspoon Baking powder
- ½ teaspoon Baking soda
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- 226 g (1 cups) Unsalted butter
- 300 g (1 ⅓ cups) Dark brown sugar light brown sugar will do too
- 4 large Eggs
- 120 ml (½ cups) Dark rum I use old monk but dark Bacardi works too
- 120 ml (½ cups) Sour cream or Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon Vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon Almond extract
- 10 grams Sliced blanched almonds or cashews
- 50 grams Black currents soaked in hot water then chop
- 50 grams Golden raisings soaked in hot water then chop
- 60 ml (¼ cup) Rum extract (optional to enhance the flavor)
- Oven - Preheat the oven to 325F /165C/ Gas Mark 3
- Dry ingredients - In a small bowl combine the flour and semolina with baking powder, baking soda, and salt.125 g All-purpose flour, 125 g Semolina, 1 teaspoon Baking powder, ½ teaspoon Baking soda, ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- Wet ingredients - In the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and dark brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, followed by the vanilla and almond extract.226 g Unsalted butter, 300 g Dark brown sugar, 4 large Eggs, 1 tablespoon Vanilla extract, ½ teaspoon Almond extract, 60 ml Rum extract
- Rum - Next, add the flour mixture in three batches alternating with the rum and sour cream. Followed by the chopped nuts, soaked-drained black currents, and raisins. Pro tip - combine well but do not overmix.120 ml Dark rum, 120 ml Sour cream, 10 grams Sliced blanched almonds, 50 grams Black currents, 50 grams Golden raisings
- Bake - Pour the batter into a prepared baking pan and transfer to the oven. Bake the square cake for 45 to 50 minutes, and the loaf cakes for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool - Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes then onto a cooling rack to cool completely. Pro tip - I like to pour ¼ to ½ cup of rum over the hot cake while still in the pan.
About Videos - most recipes has two videos - a quick version in the post & longer detailed version on this recipe card. Please do subscribe to my channel if you like my videos
The nutrition information and metric conversion are calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator. Thank you