You may have eaten fried rice in a Chinese restaurant, but have you ever had Indian fried rice? Well, it's similar with a few added Indian flavors along with the Chinese sauces
Chinese cuisine is very popular in India. And, is often tweaked with a few Indian additions which is why we call these Indo-Chinese recipes.
This recipe provides a great way to use leftover rice. It’s very easy to make, and although it takes a little time, it is not difficult. Also, you can make this dish with almost anything you have on hand. Everything is versatile, replaceable, or can be substituted.
Ingredients and substitutes
- Rice - the best rice to use for fried rice is leftover rice that has been cooked a day before. Try long grain rice. I prefer basmati rice or jasmine rice. In fact, cold refrigerated rice is even better. This way the rice grains do not stick to each other. So anytime you have precooked rice leftover in the fridge? Guess what? Make fried rice.
- Veggies - In most cases, I have carrots, peas, and tomatoes on hand but colorful bell peppers and green beans are a great addition too.
- Oil - I like using olive oil but any cooking oil will work. In fact, for a richer flavor try using ghee.
- Optional ingredients
- If you want to enhance the flavor of Indian food, you can crackle some mustard seeds, cumin seeds, and curry leaves, and sprinkle some garam masala.
- Chopped spring onions are a great addition to fried rice.
- Chopped peanuts or cashews are a great addition to add some crunch.
- Personally, I don't add shredded cabbage to my fried rice but it is a great addition to get in some veggies.
Fried rice is always great as soon as it is made but it will stay in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
You certainly can. Soak one cup of rice in 4 cups of water for 30 minutes. Then boil in a large pot of boiling water until tender. Drain and let the rice cool completely. Time permitting spread the rice on a large plate and let cool in the fridge for at least 20 minutes. Then use in the fried rice recipe.
You may also like
- Wok for stir fry
- Cutting Board
- Kitchen Knife
- Flat spatula
- 3 cups Cooked rice or 1 cup raw rice soaked
- 2 tablespoon Oil
- 1 small Onion finely diced (or shallots)
- 1 inch Fresh ginger grated
- 2 medium Fresh garlic cloves minced
- 2 teaspoon Green chiles finely chopped optional
- 1 large Tomato chopped
- 1 large Carrots finely cubed
- 1 cup Green peas chopped into ½ inch pieces
- 2 large Eggs
- ½ cup Cilantro chopped
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Pepper
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon Soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon White vinegar
- 1 tbsp Ketchup
- ½ teaspoon Sriracha or Sichuan sauce (optional)
- ½ cup Cooked cauliflower diced small
- ½ cup Spring onion chopped
- ¼ cup Chives chopped
- 1 cup Cooked chicken cubed or shredded (optional)
- Rice - I prefer to use leftover cooked rice from the fridge. But, you can cook the rice in a pot of boiling water and drain it well. Spread the fresh rice on a plate and let cool completely (preferably under a fan)Pro tip - spreading the freshly cooked rice will allow the grains to dry well which prevents the fried rice from becoming sticky.3 cups Cooked rice
- Saute - In a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat, add the oil and saute the onions, turmeric, ginger, garlic, and green chilies until the onions are translucent.2 tablespoon Oil, 1 small Onion, 1 inch Fresh ginger, 2 medium Fresh garlic cloves, 2 teaspoon Green chiles, ¼ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- Veggies - Next, add the tomatoes, carrots, and peas. Continue to cook for 3 minutes until the carrots are tender.Pro tip - if using any other optional veggies you can add them now as well.1 large Tomato chopped, 1 large Carrots, 1 cup Green peas
- Eggs - Move the veggies to the side of the pan leaving space in between for the eggs. Break the eggs and let cook for a minute or two before you scramble. Once the eggs are scrambled combine with the rest of the ingredients.2 large Eggs
- Sauces - Add the soy sauce, vinegar, and ketchup. Season with salt and pepper. Toss everything well so it combines each and every grain.½ teaspoon Salt, 1 tablespoon Soy sauce, 1 teaspoon White vinegar, 1 tablespoon Ketchup, ½ teaspoon Pepper
- Garnish - Taste and adjust seasoning. Then sprinkle with chopped cilantro or parsley.½ cup Cilantro
About Videos - most recipes has two videos - a quick version in the post & longer detailed version on this recipe card. Please do subscribe to my channel if you like my videos
The nutrition information and metric conversion are calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator. Thank you