Falooda is a traditional Indian dessert made from layers of ice cream, milk, rose syrup, and vermicelli. Today, try this tropical twist mango falooda with a mango smoothie, ice cream, vermicelli, fresh mango, and rose syrup.
Falooda is a cross between a dessert and a drink. It's a cold, sweet, milk-based beverage with vermicelli noodles, jello or fruit, and a touch of rose.
Growing up falooda was a once-in-a-while treat meant only for special occasions because it was more expensive than other drinks such as lassi.
Ingredients and substitutes
- Mango -I've used fresh mango because they are in season but you can also use frozen mango
- Basil Seeds - I don't find basil seeds so I often use chia seeds. My kids love tapioca pearls so today I used those.
- Noodles - I've used vermicelli but glass noodles can also be used. Of course, it can also be omitted.
- Ice cream - I prefer to use vanilla but mango ice cream or mango kulfi works too.
- Rose syrup - In India you can buy a bottle of red rose syrup which is traditionally used in falooda but over here we often use raspberry syrup with Maraschino cherries.
In a tall glass
- 2 spoons of diced mango
- followed by 2 tablespoon of soaked and drained basil seeds.
- Add the ¼ cup vermicelli and
- 2 tablespoon of rose syrup.
- Top with the mango smoothie,
- 2 scoops of vanilla ice cream, and
- diced mango pieces.
- Serve immediately
Pin this and other East-Indian Recipes on Pinterest here
- 2 large Mangoes peel, diced, and blended.
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon Sugar
- ¼ cup Whole milk
- 1 cup (1 large) Mango diced
- 2 tablespoon Basil seeds Takmaria or Chia seeds (soaked in 1 cup water until bloomed)
- 2 cup Noodles glass or vermicelli
- ¼ cup Rose syrup for garnish
- 2 cups Vanilla Ice cream 4 scoops
- Basil - In a bowl, soak basil seeds or chia seeds in water for 30 to 40 minutes until bloomed. Drain and set aside2 tablespoon Basil seeds
- Noodles - Cook the glass noodles in water until soft - drain and set aside.2 cup Noodles
- Smoothie - In a blender add the mango pulp, yogurt, sugar, and milk. Blend until smooth.1 cup Greek yogurt, 1 tablespoon Sugar, ¼ cup Whole milk, 1 cup Mango, 2 large Mangoes
Assemble (2 servings)
- In a tall glass add two spoons of diced mango, followed by 2 tablespoon of soaked and drained basil seeds. Add the ¼ cup vermicelli with 2 tablespoon of rose syrup.¼ cup Rose syrup
- Top with the mango smoothie, 2 scoops of vanilla ice cream, and diced mango pieces.2 cups Vanilla Ice cream
- Serve immediately.
About Videos - most recipes has two videos - a quick version in the post & longer detailed version on this recipe card. Please do subscribe to my channel if you like my videos
The nutrition information and metric conversion are calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator. Thank you