Falooda is a traditional Indian dessert made from layers of ice cream, milk, rose syrup, and vermicelli. Today, try this tropical twist mango falooda with a mango smoothie, ice cream, vermicelli, fresh mango, and rose syrup.
Falooda is a cross between a dessert and a drink. It's a cold, sweet, milk-based beverage with vermicelli noodles, jello or fruit, and a touch of rose.
Growing up falooda was a once-in-a-while treat meant only for special occasions because it was more expensive than other drinks such as lassi.
Ingredients and substitutes
- Mango -I've used fresh mango because they are in season but you can also use frozen mango
- Basil Seeds - I don't find basil seeds so I often use chia seeds. My kids love tapioca pearls so today I used those.
- Noodles - I've used vermicelli but glass noodles can also be used. Of course, it can also be omitted.
- Ice cream - I prefer to use vanilla but mango ice cream or mango kulfi works too.
- Rose syrup - In India you can buy a bottle of red rose syrup which is traditionally used in falooda but over here we often use raspberry syrup with Maraschino cherries.
In a tall glass
- 2 spoons of diced mango
- followed by 2 tablespoon of soaked and drained basil seeds.
- Add the ¼ cup vermicelli and
- 2 tablespoon of rose syrup.
- Top with the mango smoothie,
- 2 scoops of vanilla ice cream, and
- diced mango pieces.
- Serve immediately
Pin this and other East-Indian Recipes on Pinterest here. Don't forget to like and Follow for more recipes.
- 2 large Mangoes peel, diced, and blended.
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon Sugar
- ¼ cup Whole milk
- 1 cup (1 large) Mango diced
- 2 tablespoon Basil seeds Takmaria or Chia seeds (soaked in 1 cup water until bloomed)
- 2 cup Noodles glass or vermicelli
- ¼ cup Rose syrup for garnish
- 2 cups Vanilla Ice cream 4 scoops
- Basil - In a bowl, soak basil seeds or chia seeds in water for 30 to 40 minutes until bloomed. Drain and set aside2 tablespoon Basil seeds
- Noodles - Cook the glass noodles in water until soft - drain and set aside.2 cup Noodles
- Smoothie - In a blender add the mango pulp, yogurt, sugar, and milk. Blend until smooth.1 cup Greek yogurt, 1 tablespoon Sugar, ¼ cup Whole milk, 1 cup Mango, 2 large Mangoes
Assemble (2 servings)
- In a tall glass add two spoons of diced mango, followed by 2 tablespoon of soaked and drained basil seeds. Add the ¼ cup vermicelli with 2 tablespoon of rose syrup.¼ cup Rose syrup
- Top with the mango smoothie, 2 scoops of vanilla ice cream, and diced mango pieces.2 cups Vanilla Ice cream
- Serve immediately.
About Videos - most recipes has two videos - a quick version in the post & longer detailed version on this recipe card. Please do subscribe to my channel if you like my videos
The nutrition information and metric conversion are calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator. Thank you
Connect with me....Are you East Indian? Which part of the world are you from? Leave a comment, I'd love to know.