This Indian spicy baked curry chicken dish is a perfect comfort food dish and is full of flavor. This recipe is delicious and makes a complete meal when served over rice or with chapati.
Indian cooking doesn’t necessarily require a refined palate, although this spicy dish might be an exception. This recipe results in a simple, savory chicken dish that is slightly sweet from the caramelized onion but wonderfully spicy from the curry spices.
Ingredients and substitutes
- Chicken – I’ve used chicken thighs but you can also use legs or a whole chicken.
- Onion – I love a combination of yellow and red Spanish onions. They become sweet when they cook down and caramelize.
- Ginger garlic – Use fresh ginger and garlic and mince to almost a paste consistency.
- Tomato paste – A little tang added to the curry paste makes a wonderful marinade.
- Curry spices – This ready-to-use spice mix can be found in most supermarkets. But, if you don’t have or find curry powder use 1 tbsp coriander powder, 1 tsp cumin powder, 1 tsp cayenne pepper, 1 tsp sweet paprika, 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, and 1/4 tsp garam masala.
Pin this and other East-Indian Recipes on Pinterest here
- 1 lbs Chicken thighs
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 2 large Onions thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 4 large Garlic cloves minced
- 3 inch French ginger grated
- 2 tbsp Curry powder
- 1 tsp Sweet paprika
- ½ tsp Cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp Tomato paste
- ½ tsp Salt
- ¼ tsp Black pepper
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice
- Marinade – In a glass or ceramic bowl combine all the marinade ingredients. Pro tip – never use metal to marinate because the acid in the marinade will react with the metal causing deoxidization.2 tbsp Olive oil, 4 large Garlic cloves, 3 inch French ginger, 2 tbsp Curry powder, 1 tsp Sweet paprika, ½ tsp Cayenne pepper, 1 tbsp Tomato paste, ½ tsp Salt, ¼ tsp Black pepper, 1 tbsp Lemon juice
- Marinate – Place the chicken in the marinade and make sure to rub it into the chicken. Leave to marinate for an hour up to overnight in the fridge.1 lbs Chicken thighs
- Onions – In a saute pan over medium heat, add the oil and saute the onions until translucent. Then, sprinkle the sugar and saute until the onions are caramelized. Transfer the onions to the marinade bowl with the chicken. Combine well.2 tbsp Olive oil, 2 large Onions, 1 tbsp Sugar
- Oven – Preheat the oven to 375°F/ 190°C/ Gas Mark 5
- Bake – Transfer the marinated chicken along with all the marinade and juices to a baking dish. Bake on the middle rack for 40 to 45 minutes until nice and golden. Pro tip – if the onions or chicken becomes too dark too soon tent the dish with aluminum foil.
- When baked remove from the oven and leave to cool for 10 minutes before you serve.
About Videos – most recipes has two videos – a quick version in the post & longer detailed version on this recipe card. Please do subscribe to my channel if you like my videos
The nutrition information and metric conversion are calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator. Thank you