This stuffed okra or bharwa bhindi is a delicacy originating from Rajasthan, India. It is a staple at many Indian celebrations and festivities. It is a very simple and easy recipe to make in less than 20 minutes
Okra and eggplant are very popular in Indian cuisine and there is so much you can do from simple pan-try to saute or stuff with spice mix, mince mixture, and so on.
This is a seasonal vegetable so make sure to take advantage of them when they are in season. Many will deep fry okra to prevent it from sticking but the truth is that if you pan fry them like this you don’t need too much oil and it won’t be sticky.
This recipe is called bharwra bhindi meaning stuffed ‘bharwa’ and bhindi ‘okra’. And you will find many many versions of this recipe. Each is authentic to its own region in India.
Ingredients and substitutes
- Okra – for this recipe use a tender long okra, not the small mini ones as they are too much work.
- Chickpea flour – this is now easily available in most supermarkets. If you can’t find chickpea flour you can also use coconut powder or coconut flour
- Spices – we use standard easy-to-find pantry staples of coriander, cumin, chili, turmeric, and garam masala.
- Baked Sweet Sour Cauliflower
- Gawar Foogath or Drumstick foogath or French Beans Foogath
- Baingan Bharta – Brinjal Broth
- Yellow Dal Recipe
Pin this and other East-Indian Recipes on Pinterest here. Don’t forget to like and Follow for more recipes.
- 1 lb Okra/Bhindi Wiped well with a damp towel
- 2 tbsp Cooking oil
- ½ cup Chickpea flour
- 2 tbsp Coriander powder Dhania
- 1 tsp Cumin powder Jeera
- 1 tsp Kashmir chili powder or cayenne
- ¼ tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Garam masala
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- ½ tsp Black pepper powder
- 1 tbsp Cooking oil
- Stuffing – In a medium frying pan, over medium heat add the oil and saute the chickpea flour until pale and fragrant. Then, add the rest of the spices and season. Fry a minute more then remove from the heat and set aside.½ cup Chickpea flour, 2 tbsp Coriander powder, 1 tsp Cumin powder, 1 tsp Kashmir chili powder, ¼ tsp Turmeric powder, 1 tsp Garam masala, 1 tsp Kosher salt, ½ tsp Black pepper powder, 1 tbsp Cooking oil
- Stuff okra – Make a slit in each bhindi and using a teaspoon fill it with the cooled mixture. Continue with the rest of the okra and set them aside.1 lb Okra/Bhindi
- Fry – In a large frying pan add the cooking oil over medium heat. Layer the bhindi all over the pan stuffing side up. Cook for 2 minutes then flip them over and cook another 2 minutes. Pro tip the medium-high heat will give the okra a nice golden color on all around.2 tbsp Cooking oil
- Cook – Reduce the heat to medium. Sprinkle 2 tbsp of water all over the okra and cover the pan. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Toss them around and cook another 3 to 4 minutes until the okra is tender. Pro tip – covering the pan will keep the steam inside the pan and cook the okra stuffing from inside.
- When done sprinkle with some chopped cilantro and serve with fresh roti.
About Videos – most recipes has two videos – a quick version in the post & longer detailed version on this recipe card. Please do subscribe to my channel if you like my videos
The nutrition information and metric conversion are calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator. Thank you