East Indian Dal Makhani.
Dal Makhani is a classic Indian dish with lentils in a cream-based sauce. This recipe is a twist on the classic with East-Indian bottle masala. It's a simple and easy recipe that gets done in just 20 minutes with pre-soaked moong dal.
This recipe can also be used with beans such as kidney beans or rajma to make rajma masala. I have used yogurt today but you can use whipping cream. The butter at the end gives it a wonderful flavor but also gives the sauce that satin-like smooth feel. I highly recommend using butter.
- Saute Pan
- Cutting Board
- 1 cup (204 g) Moong dal soaked for 4 hours
- 2 tbsp Ghee or cooking oil
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 4 Curry leaves
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds jeera
- 2 Green chilies optional
- ½ tsp Garlic sliced
- ½ tsp Ginger grated
- 1 cup onion finely chopped
- 1 cup Tomatoes finely chopped
- ½ tsp Turmeric masala Haldi
- 2 tsp Bottle masala
- ½ cup Yogurt plain or whipping cream
- 2 cup Water
- ½ cup Cilantro Kothmir
- 2 tbsp Butter
- ½ tsp Salt
- ¼ tsp Pepper
- Soak the dry moong dal for at least 4 hours or overnight
- In a saute pan, add ghee and mustard seeds.
- Once the mustard seeds splutter add the curry leaves, cumin seeds, and green chilies
- Next, add the onions and saute until transluscent
- Now, add the garlic and ginger - saute 30 seconds
- Then add the tomatoes along with bottle masala and turmeric powder
- Saute for 2 to 3 minutes, mashing the tomatoes until fragrant. If necessary add a few tablespoons of water to prevent the spices burning.
- Next, add the dal and water.
- Season with salt and pepper
- Cook covered on medium heat for 10 minutes or until the dal is soft.
- Finally, add the yogurt, butter, and cilantro leaves - Combine well but do not over cook as it can split curdle.
- Taste and adjust seasoning - if necessary add water for consistency.
About Videos - most recipes has two videos - a quick version in the post & longer detailed version on this recipe card. Please do subscribe to my channel if you like my videos
The nutrition information and metric conversion are calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator. Thank you
You may also like
- French Beans Foogath - Green beans
- Cluster Beans Foogath - Cluster Beans
- Cabbage Foogath
- Mixed sprouts Foogath - Usal foogath
- Brinjal Pickle - Eggplant relish