There are a lot of mango pickle recipes however this is the traditional mango pickle recipe made by the east Indians. It is easy and has a pungent flavor with a burst of spices
- Cutting Board
- Kitchen Knife
- Suate pan
- Mason jars
- 20 (3.3 kg) Mangoes (raw) green – cut into chunks
- 150 grams (0.51 cups) Salt
- 2 1/2 liters (10.57 cups) Cooking oil
- 150 grams (10.14 tbsp) Mustard seeds rai
- 60 grams (4.06 tbsp) Fenugreek seeds methi dana
- 20 grams (1.35 tbsp) Asafetida powder hing
- 150 grams (10.14 tbsp) Chili powder Cayenne
- 50 grams (3.38 tbsp) Turmeric powder haldi
- Wash the mangoes throughly and pat them dry.
- Cut the mangoes into bite-size pieces
- Mix the cut mangoes with the salt and let it sit in the sun for 2 days (we basically want to drain all the water from the mangoes)
- Once done, take a bowl and put the chopped mango chunks in it.
- Add the turmeric powder, chili powder, asafetida(hing) powdered, fenugreek(methi) seeds and mustard seeds. Mix well
- Bring the oil to a boil in a heavy bottom suace pan. Then, let it come to room temperature again.
- Transfer the mango mixture into a jar and pour the oil over it.
- Fill it up completely making sure all the mango chunks are covered with oil.
- If you do not cover the mango pieces with oil well, the pickle will get bad
- Leave the jars to mature for at least 10 to 15 days before you eat the pickle. The longer the pickle will mature the better it will taste.
Drying the mangoes
- Drying the mangoes before making the pickle is important.
- If you do not dry the mangoes well moisture in the mangoes will reduce the shelf-life of the pickle.
- An alternate method to drying mangoes if you can’t put them in the sun is to air dry .them in the fridge. Place them on the tray open in the fridge. This will take a few days.
About Videos – most recipes has two videos – a quick version in the post & longer detailed version on this recipe card. Please do subscribe to my channel if you like my videos
The nutrition information and metric conversion are calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator. Thank you