This delicious Goan mutton curry is a spicy and fragrant meat stew with coconut and curry spices. It's a bit on the spicy side and can be prepared in a number of ways. You can substitute lamb for mutton, it will still taste great.
Goa is one of India’s smallest states, but it boasts one of its most diverse populations. Having lived in Goa for many years I am a huge fan of all things Goan!
This recipe is slightly different from the traditional Goan mutton curry, but we think this recipe tastes just as good.
Ingredients and substitutes
- Mutton - I am using mutton which is goat meat but you can use the exact same recipe with lamb, beef, or veal.
- Onion - I like to use a combination of yellow and red Spanish onions. The most important thing to know is to ensure you cook the onions until almost caramelized. This means that it sweetens the gravy and adds thickness.
- Garlic/ginger - Always use fresh garlic and ginger for Indian recipes.
- Spices - I have made the mutton masala paste from scratch but you can also use 4 tablespoon of commercial mutton masala spice mix.
- Coconut - my mom always used fresh ground coconut, in fact, she dry-roasted it in a frying pan before grinding it. But, I take the easy route and use coconut milk from a can!
Pin this and other East-Indian Recipes on Pinterest here
- 2 lbs Mutton cut into pieces
- 2 tbsp Cooking oil
- 2 large Onions sliced
- 6 large Garlic cloves minced or paste
- 3 inch Fresh Ginger grated or paste
- 2 large Green chilies slit
- 1 large Tomato chopped
- 1 cup Coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon Tamarind paste
Goan mutton masala paste
- 10 large Dry red chilies or 3 tablespoon paprika powder
- 3 tablespoon Coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon Cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon Peppercorns
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon Caraway seeds
- 2 teaspoon Poppy seeds
- 3 inch Cinnamon stick
- 10 pieces Cloves
- 1 Star anise
- 2 pieces Mace
- 3 Green cardamoms
- 2 Black cardamoms
Mutton masala paste
- Chilies - Soak the chilies/paprika in warm water for 7 minutes. Drain and deseed them.10 large Dry red chilies
- Roast - Add all the rest of the spices to a frying pan and lightly toast them. Pro tip - spices can burn easily so keep the heat to an absolute low.3 tablespoon Coriander seeds, 1 tablespoon Cumin seeds, 1 tablespoon Peppercorns, ½ teaspoon Turmeric powder, ½ teaspoon Caraway seeds, 2 teaspoon Poppy seeds, 3 inch Cinnamon stick, 10 pieces Cloves, 1 Star anise, 2 pieces Mace, 3 Green cardamoms, 2 Black cardamoms
- Grind - Put them all into the food processor or blender and blend until smooth. Set aside.
Goan mutton curry
- Saute - In a large pot saute the onions in oil until they are caramelized to an almost deep golden color. Add the garlic, ginger, and slit green chilies.2 tablespoon Cooking oil, 2 large Onions, 6 large Garlic cloves, 3 inch Fresh Ginger, 2 large Green chilies
- Paste - Next, add the chopped tomatoes and ground masala paste. Add ¼ cup water and continue to saute until fragrant. Add the tamarind paste/water and chopped coriander leaves.1 large Tomato, 1 teaspoon Tamarind paste
- Gravy - Next, add the mutton pieces followed by the coconut milk. Simmer for 5 minutes then add the broth/stock.2 lbs Mutton, 1 cup Coconut milk
- Cook - Cover the pot and Stovetop - Simmer on low over the stovetop for 1 ½ to 2 hours. Oven - Or you can transfer to the oven and cook at 150C/300F/ Gas Mark 2 for 4 to 5 hours. Slow cooker - You can also transfer everything to a slow cooker and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours. Instant pot - if you do not have the time you can cook the mutton in a pressure cooker or instant pot on high for 45 minutes.
- Final - When the meat is tender, taste and adjust the seasoning and consistency. Add more water if necessary.
About Videos - most recipes has two videos - a quick version in the post & longer detailed version on this recipe card. Please do subscribe to my channel if you like my videos
The nutrition information and metric conversion are calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator. Thank you
Mutton is adult sheep meat not goat meat. Yet to try this recipe but will use goat meat and report back.
it is cumin seed,not carraway seed
There is both in this recipe - cumin and caraway seeds