Beetroot wine is of course made with cooked beetroots. Fermented with sugar and yeast for 14 days to mature into a wonderful wine with the aroma of beets.
If you've never tried wine made with beetroots, you are in for a big surprise. Personally, I am not a big fan of beetroot but that changes when it comes to wine. The color is absolutely gorgeous and the taste is so wonderfully light.
The thing about wine is that while it does get ready in 14 days, the longer you keep the smoother the flavor. I like to leave mine for 14 days after I have bottled it making it a total of 28 days.
- 1 kg Beetroot
- 1 Kg Sugar
- 1 cup Orange juice
- ½ cup Lemon juice
- 1 ½ tsp Instant yeast
- 3 Liters Water
- 2 Cloves (lavang)
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg (jaiphal)
- 1 tbsp Ground dry ginger (soonth)
- Peel, and grate the beetroot. Combine grated beetroot and water
- Bring to a boil and cook until almost done. Then cool completely. Pro tip - When pressed with the ginger the beetroot should be almost cooked but not mashed.
- Mix yeast with half a cup of warm water (no more than 110F). Leave to rest until foamy. Pro tip - make sure the water is warm, not hot, nor cold. Hot water will kill the yeast while cold water will not revive the yeast.
Prepare wine mixture
- In a large jar combine cooled beetroot, orange and lemon juice, sugar, and yeast mixture. Add the spices and give it all a good mix. Pro tip- you want the sugar to almost dissolve instantly rather than settle at the bottom of the jar.
- Leave to mature in a cool dry place for 14 days. Stirring it once every week at least.
- After 14 days strain the wine two to three times until you have a clear liquid without any traces of beet fiber. I like to strain first with a sieve to remove all the bulk of the solid ingredients. Then strain with a double muslin cloth this will get most of the fine particles. You may or may not need the third strain with a muslin cloth.
- You can leave this to mature for 14 more days before you bottle and serve. I like to bottle and leave the bottles for 14 to 28 days before using. The longer it matures the smoother the wine becomes.
About Videos - most recipes has two videos - a quick version in the post & longer detailed version on this recipe card. Please do subscribe to my channel if you like my videos
The nutrition information and metric conversion are calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator. Thank you
I really love these recipes & enjoyed everything & many thanx expecting more in future