This mutton stew is simple and easy, made with just a handful of ingredients you probably already have on hand. Made in a pressure cooker in just under 40 minutes this is definitely a kid-approved meal.
One of my favorite meals as a kid would have to be this stew with pav! Simple, not spicy, and always popular with the kids. For my kids, I usually make it with lamb meat because I do not get mutton. You can also make it with chicken and reduce the pressure cooker time to 20 minutes.
The original recipe of East Indian mutton stew does not have potatoes, carrots, and peas which is why I put them as optional below. But, I grew up with these because that's how my mom made this dish.I hope you try it too.
- ½ kg (1 lb) Mutton cut into 2-inch cubes
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1 tsp Flour
- 2 med Onions chopped finely
- 1 inch Ginger chopped finely
- 2 cloves garlic chopped finely
- 3 Green chilies chopped
- ½ tsp Cardamom powder green
- ½ tsp Cinnamon powder
- 2 (15 oz) Potatoes diced into 1-inch cubes (optional)
- 2 (4 oz) Carrots diced into 1-inch cubes (optional)
- 1 cup (5 oz) Green peas fresh or frozen
- 2 tbsp Cilantro leaves chopped for garnish
- Heat the stovetop pressure cooker on medium-high heat, add 1 tbsp oil, and brown the mutton pieces on all sides. Once browned remove and set aside. (For Instant pot, use the saute mode) Pro tip - when you add the pieces they will stick to the pan, do not add more oil, instead leave it and let it cook for 2 minutes untouched. The meat will caramelize and then release. This adds more flavor and you don't add excess fat.
- To the same pressure cooker, add the remaining oil and saute the onions, ginger, garlic for 2 minutes until the onions are translucent. Then, reduce the heat to low add the flour. Cook for two minutes then add cardamom and cinnamon powder.
- Return the meat back to the pressure cooker along with any juices. Add the chopped potatoes, carrots, and green peas. Then, add 2 cups water and season with salt and pepper.
- Stovetop pressure cooker - Cover the pressure cooker and cook on high for 30 to 35 minutes (about 5 to 6 whistles) Release pressure naturally. Instant pot - Press the cancel button to stop saute then close the lid and seal the vent. Press the pressure cooker button (on high) and set the timer for 25 minutes. Let pressure release naturally.
- Open, taste and adjust seasoning, and top with chopped cilantro leaves
About Videos - most recipes has two videos - a quick version in the post & longer detailed version on this recipe card. Please do subscribe to my channel if you like my videos
The nutrition information and metric conversion are calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator. Thank you